top of page
Search
  • Le cercle des Créatures Terriennes

Adding pieces of biowaste to your apartment compost


When the compost starts


At the start of the compost, a mixture of brown carbonaceous material (vegetable fiber) and gray carbonaceous matter (ash or charcoal) is prepared. Then 60% of this mixture can be deposited at the bottom of the apartment compost box. Pieces of plant waste are then deposited and completely covered with part of the remaining 40% of the mixture.


A few days later, we resume the same steps, in the same way and so on until all the mixture of brown and gray matter (100%) is poured into the compost box.


If you do not have room to store the 40% carbonaceous material for a few weeks, you can pour everything into the box. The only drawback will be the slowing down of the start of composting. Initially, the waste will dry instead of composting.



Regular addition of pieces of waste


Once all the mixture of carbonaceous material has been poured into the compost box, one can begin to proceed according to the instructions below every week.


First, mix the compost thoroughly in the box so that it is as homogeneous as possible. If necessary, break the damp compost clods with a small shovel (or tablespoon) and remove the mistakenly buried waste (plastic, metal, etc.) out of the compost box and cut the large pieces of waste that have not yet composted.


Then:

- Dig a hole and pour into it the pieces of waste that are in the bioseau.

- Cover the pieces of waste with compost. If necessary, form a small mound to completely cover them.

- Cover the compost box with a cloth to avoid midges.


Final recommendations: wear a dust mask when mixing the compost and ventilate the room for 5 to 15 minutes after mixing the compost.

If white, hairy mold appears, mix the compost well.


Possible bad odours are also related to insufficient ventilation. To remedy this, mix even more carefully than usual by inserting a shovel vertically into the compost to let air into it.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Kommentarer


bottom of page